How can I use Edge to use a JWT as the value of the OAuth token?

Given Apigee's support for JWT generation as discussed here, is it reasonable to use JWT as the value of the OAuth token rather than the opaque tokens?

I can imagine the steps:

1. Validate Client ID and Secret
  2. Generate the JWT
  3. Use the JWT as the value as per Using Third-Party OAuth Tokens.

Has anyone done this?

1 3 1,310
3 REPLIES 3

I don't understand the use case. The last step - "use it as the value" ?? What value? Do you mean "the value of an attribute within OAuthV2/GenerateAccessToken ?

If so, then I'd say no, I don't think it's reasonable to do that.

JWT support federated verification. Opaque OAuth tokens support centralized verification. There's no need to insert an independently verifiable JWT into a token store. None.

Why would you want to do that?

I updated step #3. Perhaps the better question is "is there a use case to use a JWT as the value of an OAuth token?".

For example, just as Open ID Connect providers (Azure, SalesForce, etc.) use a JWT as an access token, I'm wondering if there is a use case to configure Edge to use a JWT for the value of its access token.

Using it as the value of the access token may provide faster validation using OAuth V2 - VerifyAccessToken policy than using Verify JWT policy.

Since a JWT carries information (claims, subject, aud, etc.), it could be passed to other systems to convey information or to "support federated verification".

I have seen situations where the backend system requires a JWT as a form a request validation and to convey information.

Does that help?

I think Azure, SFDC use OpenID Connect to distribute tokens, both access tokens and id tokens. The access tokens as far as I have seen, are opaque tokens. The id_tokens are JWT.

Using a JWT as a value of an access token presumably would provide faster validation, as you say. But ...why? Why not just use a regular access token?

Using the JWT to convey signed information is fine, but why use the set of signed claims as an access_token? You could do that if you wanted to. The OpenID Specification keeps those two things - access_token and id_token - separate. See here.

I have seen some customers who design their API Proxies to create a new signed JWT for every request , to pass information to backend systems. The JWT is created by the API Proxy though; just a signed set of claims. It is not an id_token obtained from an OpenID Connect flow.