HealthMonitor on different host

Hi, lets say I have target server running on server.net but health check is possible to access only via health-server.net.
Basically is it possible in Apigee to have different hosts for regular server and health check? For instance, HealthMonitor would check if health-server.com returns 200, if yes than forward requests to the server.com. 

Lets assume it is not possible to have health endpoints running on the same host with different port. Is it possible to do solve such issue?

0 1 46
1 REPLY 1

Within the Apigee HealthMonitor, there is no way to specify a different server or hostname, than the one you are using in the TargetServer. The model isn't designed to accommodate that directly. 

Health checking a different server than the one that you are sending traffic to is a bit of an anti-pattern in general. Without knowing the specific requirement I'd challenge whether that would still result in a viable health check.

If the different servers are really just different hostnames on the same host (i.e. if health-server.com and server.com resolve to the same host) then applying a host header in the HealthMonitor config might do the trick for you.

Alternatively using something like an L7 LB in front of your server.com that allows forwarding a GET for /health to health-server.com would also do the trick.