Getting key from Secret manager to Apigee proxy

I was trying to use Secret manager to keep API Keys secure and use the same in Apigee. However, I am not able to see the key in the response. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I had referred to this https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Apigee/Access-GCP-Secret-Manager-from-Apigee/m-p/482208 post by @dchiesa1 which worked (I had to add Viewer role after going to Secret Manager console). 

Only problem is that, I am not able to see the encoded key value. This is the content which I am able to see after the service callout and Assign message policies (Same as mentioned in the above link).

{
  "name": "projects/508108081207/secrets/sp_dev_apigee_key/versions/1",
  "createTime": "2023-07-17T10:14:29.502331Z",
  "state": "ENABLED",
  "replicationStatus": {
    "automatic": {}
  },
  "etag": "\"1600ac1062157b\"",
  "clientSpecifiedPayloadChecksum": true
}

@API-Evangelist @mevangelisti 

Solved Solved
2 2 486
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, the name in the output

{ 

...tells me that you are using a path that ends in the version number for the secret. According to the documentation, that will get metadata for the specified version of the secret.

secret-version-metadata.jpg

The metadata. includes when it was created, its state, the replication status.... But if you want the actual content, you must use the url with the :access suffix. /v1/projects/PROJECT/secrets/SECRETNAME/versions/1:access .

access-secret-data.jpg

That will give you a payload of this kind of structure.

{
  "name": "projects/911586521367/secrets/secret1/versions/1",
  "payload": {
    "data": "VGhpcy1pcy1hLXNlY3JldA==",
    "dataCrc32c": "3671980923"
  }
}

The data in that payload is a base64-encoded version of the secret.

(I had to add Viewer role after going to Secret Manager console).

Note: you must add the secretmanager.secretAccessor role to get the secret data. It's not the same role as secretmanager.viewer!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Yes, the name in the output

{ 

...tells me that you are using a path that ends in the version number for the secret. According to the documentation, that will get metadata for the specified version of the secret.

secret-version-metadata.jpg

The metadata. includes when it was created, its state, the replication status.... But if you want the actual content, you must use the url with the :access suffix. /v1/projects/PROJECT/secrets/SECRETNAME/versions/1:access .

access-secret-data.jpg

That will give you a payload of this kind of structure.

{
  "name": "projects/911586521367/secrets/secret1/versions/1",
  "payload": {
    "data": "VGhpcy1pcy1hLXNlY3JldA==",
    "dataCrc32c": "3671980923"
  }
}

The data in that payload is a base64-encoded version of the secret.

(I had to add Viewer role after going to Secret Manager console).

Note: you must add the secretmanager.secretAccessor role to get the secret data. It's not the same role as secretmanager.viewer!

I was using the wrong path as you pointed out. It is working with access keyword added at the end. Thank you so much @dchiesa1