Edge Linux system user account configuration issue

Not applicable

I urgently need some assistance in understanding some of the limitations with the apigee install user for Apigee Edge Private cloud deployment.

1) I need to know if we can install all the components of Apigee under a different user/group than 'apigee'. In an Enterprise environment, it would seem strange that this cannot be configured to something different than the default.
2) If I do need to use the 'apigee' user, it would appear that we cannot use users that are sync'ed with Active Directory as it does not allow the user and the group to be the same (e.g. "Apigee/Apigee"). Are local system users the only option? How then do you handle password expiry policies in an Enterprise Scenario?
3) Do the apigee services run under the "apigee" user once they are started?
4) Why is 'sudo' required to start these services?

0 3 266
3 REPLIES 3

1. You should be able to install and run apigee on users other than apigee. You need to add RUN_USER and RUN_GROUP property in /opt/apigee/etc/defaults.sh file before running the setup command.

2. Yes apigee services runs as apigee user (or RUN_USER) specified in /opt/apigee/etc/defaults file.

3. sudo is required to install the software but is not required to start the service. so you can go to the service account(RUN_USER) and just do apigee-all start . This should start

Not applicable

Hi Rajesh, Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. Is there someone from Apigee that can confirm whether this is an official position? This is quite urgent.

it can be done post install… set RUN_USER in /opt/apigee/etc/defaults.sh and chown the apigee install dir .