Does Apigee Edge support protocol buffer, apache thrift or other byte level protocols for backend service

Not applicable

I have an application which exposes the APIs using protocol buffers for clients to consume. If I want to use Apigee as a proxy for this application, will I be able to do so without any significant coding effort?

e.g. if I configure a proxy in Apigee edge then clients would connect to this proxy which would then take care of communication using protocol buffers with my backend application so I don't have to invest much effort in order to expose this legacy application to clients.. Is that possible with apigee edge ?

Or does Apigee edge proxy needs a backend http endpoint in order to send requests that are coming in from clients

1 3 546
3 REPLIES 3

No, and Yes.

No: The builtin support for backend systems is HTTPS.

Yes: it is possible to build connectors - using Java, python, or nodejs - to other non-HTTP Systems. For example , here's an FTP policy . One could imagine similar for other backends.

And in the future, Yes: Apigee will deliver a more general way to configure and use connectors to HTTP and non-HTTP backend systems. I have no timeline or feature details to announce for that.

Okay... so using those connectors, it can even open a Websocket connection with the backend application right? However, in that case the onus to manage those connections lies with the developer and not the Apigee proxy, am I right?

Hello Dino, thanks for the answer.. Is there any documentation or video that I can refer to in order to build and configure the custom connectors?