Do we have to build wildcard APIs or resource specific APIs in APIGEE

ajytwi

Hello,

I have a question related to best practice for API development..

Do we have to build wildcard APIs or resource specific APIs in APIGEE?

for example: My backend application is mobile+web+ios application hosted in internal network has around 150+ APIs.

All APIs should be accessed from internet? There are around 150 APIs with with ~~35+ distinct API resources and are of passthrough nature Should I develop 150 APIs here in APIGEE? 35 APIs? or one wildcard API? which will be able to handle all the request? I am not aware about the business functionality of the APIs.

Below are the pros and cons I have found but not sure which one should be used.

1) Developing 150 APIs doesn't make sense for obvious reason because too much effort will be required to do the same thing.

2) 35 + distinct API does make sense to me because this will help to achieve API reusability of the basis of API resource for other partners.

3) Wildcard API is quick solution which will allow client to use whatever they wanted to access from backend but this will single point of failure also may slow down the GW response. .

What is the best practice APIGEE recommends in this case?

Thanks

Ajay Tiwari

Solved Solved
0 4 298
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Not applicable

This is totally a business call.

Still if you are taking a call, then point 1 is not a solution at all.

I would suggest to go for the 35+ APIs. This will help you in maintaining and debugging errors easily. You will have scope to enhance any particular one in a different way in future.

Wildcard can be placed in a tricky way with control. This opens up all the APIs which you don't want to expose as well. It will work but I would not prefer to do so.

View solution in original post

ajytwi

@Priyadarshi Ajitav Jena

Thanks for your response .. if I can control API URI check in APIGEE will you still recommend to use this?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Not applicable

This is totally a business call.

Still if you are taking a call, then point 1 is not a solution at all.

I would suggest to go for the 35+ APIs. This will help you in maintaining and debugging errors easily. You will have scope to enhance any particular one in a different way in future.

Wildcard can be placed in a tricky way with control. This opens up all the APIs which you don't want to expose as well. It will work but I would not prefer to do so.

ajytwi

@Priyadarshi Ajitav Jena

Thanks for your response .. if I can control API URI check in APIGEE will you still recommend to use this?

As long as your backend server is same and it's modular then you can use wildcard.

One scenario I have faced is, when there are too many requests and you want to trace a particular type, getting that within 20 traffics in a trace becomes very difficult.

Also if you want to add rate limiting will become complicated.

I would prefer to simpler and modular proxies, not hugely loaded.

ajytwi

I agree with you. thanks for your opinion....