Can you run an Apigee Hybrid setup without Microgateway?

mail-2

Hybrid, as I understand it, means the actual transaction processing (Client connections, execution of proxies) is done outside of Apigee Edge Cloud (f.x. on premise or AWS). But the management of the Apigee ecosystem (Proxy creation, Products, Portals etc) is still done on Apigee Edge Cloud.

Further it seems to me that for such a setup Microgateway is not a must but an option. I'd like to confirm this information. B/c from what I gathered about MGW it would actually be required for synchronization of the configuration and sending of analytics data to the Edge Cloud.

In short my understanding is conflicting with how I interpret the documentation as far as I read it. Could someone maybe clarify on this matter?

0 2 180
2 REPLIES 2

Yes, microgateway is not a required part of an Apigee hybrid setup.

In fact I don't know of any customers using microgateway with Apigee hybrid. That doesn't mean there are no customers using Apigee hybrid with microgateway; I just think it's probably uncommon.

MGW is not required for synchronization of the configuration and analytics data.

Here's the installation documentation.

https://docs.apigee.com/hybrid/v1.2/big-picture

But applying MGW is effectively a hybrid setup - right? It's just not necessarily then Apigee Hybrid (with a capital H) - correct?

Don't both MGW and Apigee Hybrid cater to the same use case of bringing proxy execution closer to the backend (potentially on the same network or even instance) to reduce latency and/or meet regulatory requirements?

I find the marketing material very unclear on that matter.