Can we have Rate Limiting on response code

Hi All, 

We have a scenario, where our server is responding with 413 to a request, we want to restrict such IPs who are calling us multiple times and every time we are responding with 413.

Is there any way we can rate-limit using response codes? 

Thanks in Advance.

0 1 212
1 REPLY 1

The 413 status code is Payload Too Large. By this status code, the server is telling the client that the server is refusing to process a request because the request payload is larger than the server is willing or able to process.

I am not clear on which thing is responding with 413.  I believe in your case it is the upstream server.  And I understand that you would like to rate limit clients (by IP address?) that receive 413 responses. 

If my understanding is correct, the way I would do this is... 

• enforce a quota for every request. Use the client IP as part of the identifier. Set the quota limit to 2 / hour.  Something like that. Use a MessageWeight of 1 (the default).
  • On the response flow, enforce an additional quota, conditionally.  Check the response status code, and if it NOT a 413, then use an additional quota policy with MessageWeight of -1. 

Effectively if the response code is not 413, then there is no rate limit.  If the response code is 413, then the client gets 2 calls per hour. 

I have one doubt - it is possible that it is not possible to use a negative MessageWeight in a Quota policy. In that case you can use the ResetQuota policy to accommodate.