Apigee hybrid Cassandra Backup and recovery -GKE runtime

Hi,

Per link which lists both CSI and non CSI based approach of CS back up and recovery for Google cloud

Cassandra CSI backup and restore  |  Apigee X  |  Google Cloud

For GKE runtime, which can support both back up to GCS bucket and CSI based back up and recovery.

1. Which approach is recommended including future roadmap and assume, when it comes to cost both are cost efficient ? or will vary, if so which factor..

2. When it comes to GCS bucket there is good documentation on enabling audit, pub-sub events etc. .but similar feature for CSI is not clear. Is that same ? if so documented similarly ?   

@dhtx @dino 

0 4 129
4 REPLIES 4

CSI based backup is the recommended approach. Cost will vary depending on how much data is being backed up and how long the backup data is retained. CSI is based on creating disk snapshots, so I'm not sure if there's a way to monitor disk snapshots. Maybe the backup container status can be monitored with this.

Hi @dhtx 

Thanks have few queries.

1) Just want to understand towards recommendation for CSI than going to GCS bucket is due to ? did not find comparison chart between both.

2) CSI for AWS CSI is with EBS similarly CSI for google is based on ?

3) this. link indicated is about GKE monitoring but do we have specifics to CSI ?

CSI uses on Kubernetes architecture that spans multiple platforms (i.e. GCP and AWS) whereas GCS buckets is limited to GCS. CSI uses native storage without having to setup additional resources. There's currently no specifics on monitoring CSI.

@dhtx  GCS being native has the flexibility of Standard, Nearline or coldline etc.. and may be in cost and SLA  & I believe CSI drives don't provide such feature and may have different variant for SLA and cost