Apigee X vs Apigee Edge - both supported by Google? what are the key differences between these?

We are planning to move our existing api gateway from AWS to Apigee. however, there are multiple products available here like, Apigee Edge and Apigee X. 

Can anyone help us to find out if both is supported by Google and what is the key differences between these two?

Thanks !

0 4 1,982
4 REPLIES 4

Apigee Edge is the name of the product we first launched in 2012.  Many customers use it, and it is fully supported. It is no longer "for sale", which means we don't issue new. license for Apigee Edge. 

Apigee X is the name of the updated version of the Apigee product, which we first launched in November 2020. 

The main difference, the only difference that matters for new potential buyers, is that Apigee X is available for new purchase, and Apigee Edge is not.  IF you are a new buyer and you are considering a hosted Apigee, then you want to look at Apigee X.

You can get started now, on your own, by provisioning an evaluation version of Apigee X.

@dchiesa1 thank you for the explanation.  I am feel that I am behind in the API world and curious if you can mentor or guide me to be successful with API.  I am more of a consumer of API, but really need to get down the process of Authentication and the best practice for Bearer tokens refresh.  Flow...  You get the bearer token by way of api secret key and access key.  Once you get the Bearer token there is a time limit for accessing APIs.  What is the best practice for renewing Bearer tokens?  My thought process is if you try to access an api and you get a denied access you call the renew token and then remake the api call.  Is this the correct process?  I have seen that there is a refresh token on youtube videos, but for my org I do not see this refresh token.  Please provide guidance.  Signed "Getting older and must keep up".

@dchiesa1 For those of us using Apigee Edge, what are the differences between the two versions and if we want to move to Apigee X, what would the impact be?  Is there any documentation or tools to help move from Edge to X?

Please see our docs here: https://cloud.google.com/apigee/docs/api-platform/get-started/compare-apigee-products.

Some of the features in Apigee Edge (e.g. hosted targets, node.js proxies) are not directly supported but can be implemented/migrated to Cloud Run as a target for example.

Virtual hosts are implemented differently in Apigee X, using EnvGroups and GCP Load Balancers.

There are no tools to automatically migrate, you would need to assess the features you are using in Edge to see if they are still supported in X. You can download / upload proxies or configure your CI/CD to point to Apigee X.