Apigee Hybrid Helm chart maturity and strategy

Hi friends, at my current workplace, we have Apigee Hybrid Installations on GKEOnPrem and in AKS. We recently updated to 1.11 and looking forward to 1.12 release.

We started to look at Helm based upgrade when moving from 1.10 to 1.11, but ran into a blocker with a broken apigee-helm-migration tool (was not updating all metadata in K8S cluster objects, confirmed broken with no ETA to fix by Support) so we abandoned helm with the 1.11 upgrade and continued with apigeectl. We're hoping to revisit helm based with 1.12.  I'm just now trying out a fresh install of 1.11 in a lab environment using an old overrides file and struggling a bit with differences between an overrides file that works with apigeectl but throws YAML / JSON Parsing errors when using the same with helm. 

But bigger question to the folks here, how many of you are actually using helm based installation in your environments? Would be curious to hear how you are managing charts and deploying to your clusters. I'm a longtime K8s Platform engineer but surprisingly have not had much experience with helm so looking for ideas on how to manage helm charts for Apigee on a long-term basis. 

1 2 112
2 REPLIES 2

Hello,

Thanks for sharing

I don't have much to add on the apigee-helm-migration tool part, but we were able to install apigee hybrid using helm in our lab AKS environment with the previous overrides and didn't face any parsing problems, one thing we noticed is overrides required nodeselector stanza, otherwise the pods are in pending state and helm is timing out.

I'm on the same boat, thought of using the migration tool for 1.10 - 1.11 felt not comfortable and upgraded via apigeectl, looking forward to 1.12

I'm also interested in automating end to end via Azure Devops, I believe moving to helm the first step for apigee into devops world, I'm also curious on how our friends are managing helm charts.

excited for the future on this product.

cheers.

Hey Dinesh thanks, that is good to know you were able to use an existing overrides file that worked previously with apigeectl, I probably have some formatting errors in mine that I'll have to dig into.