Apigee Debug doesn't record anything.

ra
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Hi All,

I set up Trial version of Apigee X.   The Hello-world works just fine.  I got the response and the policy works (I tried "AddMessage" and I can see added information in my return header proper.)  The problem is the "Debug Session" doesn't seem to work.  I started it and it did not record anything.  I tried "undeploy and redeploy", and deploying a new version, but the recorded transaction remains empty.   I can get the response just fine and monitoring shows the api and policy are being called.

What have I done wrong?  I tried looking into GCP Logging and the log doesn't show any error.    

1 3 575
3 REPLIES 3

ra
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Just additional info.  The APIGEE is set to be public facing with LB and all through set up wizard.

Well let's see

• you have an API proxy deployed
  • you can send a request in, and you're getting the response you expect
  • and the debug session isn't showing anything...

...I think maybe there is a race condition when you start the Debug Session.  When you deploy the proxy revision, that sends a message to the distributed cloud systems.  The result of the deploy is not instantaneous.  If you then issue a "start debug session" command before deployment completes, it's possible that the yet-to-be-deployed proxy will not receive that message, and will not begin collecting data. If you then send in a request to the proxy, nothing will show up in your debug session. 

The fix for this would be to start the debug session only after the proxy is deployed, and ready to receive requests to start a debugsession.

To see if this theory is correct, I suggest that you want until, for sure, the proxy revision has completed deployment.  There are various ways to do this, but one way is to request the deployment with apigeecli

apigeecli apis deploy --wait --name $PROXYNAME --ovr --rev $REVISION  \
   --org $ORG --env $ENV --token $TOKEN            

Or, if you deploy via the UI, then... wait until the UI confirms that the deployment has completed. 

In my opinion, if it's true that there's a race condition, which leads you to believe that you started a debugsession but you actually haven't done so, that's a bug and it ought to be fixed. 

Checked and the proxy is up and running.  (It has been more than 24 hours that it's green. 😁 )

Ruj_0-1691503648419.png

My debug uses the same version as proxy as well (eval-2).