APIGEE hello world doesn't work

I'm trying to test the sample proxy helloworld api but the call doesn't reach the backend, I didn't do any additional configuration.

When I use Debug and get URL, I don't have access, this is url

https://proyecto-miso-368306-eval.apigee.net/hello-world

1 4 403
4 REPLIES 4

I'm running into the same exact issue.  Any resolution?

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble.

First thing: Evaluations at this point don't use *.apigee.net addresses.  But aside from that, sometimes there is a connectivity problem between the client and the Apigee gateway, or between the Apigee gateway and the "upstream" or target system. 

As you are probably aware, Apigee acts as an HTTP proxy. Which means there are two connections required: one from client to Apigee, and a second from Apigee to the proxy target. 

A symptom like "Hello world doesn't work" could be caused by a problem at either end.  It could be that your client  application (maybe curl, or postman, or a python application you wrote, or something else) cannot reach Apigee.  Or, it could be that Apigee cannot reach your target.  

To determine which it is, you can try this:

1. construct a loopback proxy.  This is a proxy in Apigee that does not connect to any target.  IF you can invoke it with your client, and get a response direct from Apigee, then the inbound connection is probably good
  2. test network connectivity from Apigee to the target.  This is harder to do.  IF you have an internet-accessible system and you're using an Apigee eval instance, the connectivity should be good. 

You can use Apigee debugsession (aka Trace) to help diagnose this.  For  example if you start a trace session and then invoke the proxy with yiour client, and see no transactions captured, that means Apigee did not receive the request.  Ergo, the problem is on the inbound link.  If you see a transaction captured, and the debugsession shows that Apigee cannot reach the target system, then... (you know). 

If you post more diagnostic details beyond "I'm having the same problem" someone here might be able to help you. like: what client are you using. Exactly what error messages are you seeing? etc etc.

good luck,

I found the issue. To summarize, I activated the Apigee evaluation through the GCP console. This created an instance and provided a demo helloworld proxy, however calls never reached the backend. I was able to resolve this by going directly to the Apigee welcome page - https://apigee.google.com/welcome (not the GCP console). Then I clicked 'SETUP APIGEE', entered the same projectId that I activated the evaluation for in the GCP console, and then this showed me that the evaluation was not fully set up:

unnamed.png

Continuing the activation from this site completed the setup, and after 15-20 minutes for the SSL certificate provisioning, the helloworld demo endpoint finally worked. The activation from the GCP console doesn't do the full setup required for the functional demo endpoint.

that's very helpful, thank you for that feedback.  I've created an internal bug to track this. internal reference: b/281691605