APIGEE endpoint is returning 403 forbiden error if the request payload contain "union" or "select"

Hello Team,

I built an APIGEE API proxy endpoint, which works perfectly fine if the request payload does not contain "union" or "select" keyword in it. As soon as I add the "union" or "select" keyword in my request body payload, it starts failing with 403 forbidden error.

If I directly use my internal API which is being called within the APIGEE endpoint, it works fine with "union" or "select" keywords.

I tried to debug the proxy in debug mode but the 403 request is not showing in the list. I also tried to see the log explorer to get more information on it but no luck.

Here is my request payload look like:-

Valid request without "select" or "union" keywords:-

{"data":[{"messageId":"1111111","assetStatus":{"assetName":"AAAAA","assetType":"Container"},"positionStatus":{"city":"CHEYENNE","state":"WY","street":"UNNAME ROAD","zipCode":null,"country":"US","address":" ROAD, CHEYENNE, WY 82009, USA"}}]}

Valid request without "union" keyword which is failing with 403 error:-
{"data":[{"messageId":"1111111","assetStatus":{"assetName":"AAAAA","assetType":"Container"},"positionStatus":{"city":"CHEYENNE","state":"WY","street":"union UNNAME ROAD","zipCode":null,"country":"US","address":" ROAD, CHEYENNE, WY 82009, USA"}}]}

Awaiting for quick response.

Thanks
Solved Solved
0 3 588
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Team,

Thanks for sharing the options to resolve this issue.

I tried using RegularExpressionProtection policy in Apigee, but did got any resolution.

After reading couple of articles and enabling verbose logging for Cloud Armor through Logging explorer, I came to know that there was a cloud armor policy which was causing this issue and denying the request to be processed.

After disabling the cloud armor policy the issue got resolved.

Thanks for your help. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Is it possible you have a WAF in front of Apigee that is doing scans on payloads, looking for SQL injection attacks?

Is it possible you have a RegularExpressionProtection policy in Apigee, that scans for union or select as keywords? 

Hello Team,

Thanks for sharing the options to resolve this issue.

I tried using RegularExpressionProtection policy in Apigee, but did got any resolution.

After reading couple of articles and enabling verbose logging for Cloud Armor through Logging explorer, I came to know that there was a cloud armor policy which was causing this issue and denying the request to be processed.

After disabling the cloud armor policy the issue got resolved.

Thanks for your help. 

Excellent!   Thanks for the follow-up, and clarifying what solved it for you. very helpful.