API instead of ETL?

Not applicable

can we use API instead of ETL for near real time data replication

1 3 4,449
3 REPLIES 3

Dear @satya ,

Welcome to Apigee Community 🙂

Absolutely, You can use APIs instead of traditional ETL. APIs gives you more flexibility & wider audience when dealing with data. More importantly they are highly scalable & efficient.

Your Question highlights,

"What's got you here, Won't get you there"

Traditional Enterprises which deals with huge amounts of data got outpaced by Digital Natives. To compete in the digital economy, you must adopt the architectural principles and methods of digital natives.

Extract, Transform, Load gained popularity in early days of data warehousing, As the name says it's more of moving the data from one place to another place in different forms than integrate it various other ecosystems in the sense that you need in today's digital world.

ETLs are expensive, rigid, and not best designed for current consumption trends in this mobile / digital economy. APIs, on the other hand, allow you to “connect to a remote services, retrieve data or manage computations. By harnessing an API you can deliver lightweight apps without losing the key functionality or service of your business.”

Found an interesting article from here which talks about same by our CTO , Anant Jhingran. Above quotes are also taken from his dictionary. Checkout Slideshare that he recently shared his views in iLoveApis 2015 Technology Keynote.

Hi @Anil Sagar,

Thanks for the info.

I have a query on the data access from conventional Oracle databases.

I tried out the sample examples given on the APIGEE tutorials. However with the tables in the BAAS , the service is easy to be used as API proxy.

Is there any driver that needs to be configured to access Oracle database table as a service and build API on the Edge?

Hi @satya,

Glad it helped. We do have connectors for traditional databases that helps performing CRUD operations using APIs. They are called Volos Connectors. Find more about same here and here.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have volos connector for oracle. But, Apigee Edge supports node containers, You can leverage oracle node plugin to extract and expose as an API. If interested, You can write volos connector for oracle & share with open source Apigee Community.