API Service exposed as both REST and SOAP

Not applicable

We have a function scenario where in an existing service is being consumed as SOAP. Now after introducing API layer we want to expose RESTFUL services only, However, we cannot change the consumption pattern for existing customers so easily.

In this scenario same service needs to be exposed as REST(for new consumer) and SOAP (For existing Consumers)

What is the best practice to do so?

1) should we create two API proxies -one for SOAP and another for REST?

2) How the URL should be named - should it also have protocol name in URI?

3) What can be the maintenance challenges in this scenario?

0 3 599
3 REPLIES 3

@Vipul Agarwal , I believe question is too broad. If you can update details like what you have tried, is there any thing specific you are looking for will help others to answer same.

@Anil Sagar: Thanks for the reply. I have updated the question. Please let me know if more details are needed.

1) I would definitely create two proxies. A separate proxy for the web API will allow for independent evolution, etc.

2) I wouldn't put the protocol in the URL. The specifics matter, but I would imagine your naming conventions are substantially different for your web APIs than the SOAP services, so I would expect little risk of collision.

3) I don't think there are any additional challenges brought on here. Is there anything you think might be more of a challenge that prompted the question?