The Book of Apigee Edge Antipatterns

We are very proud to present the first version of “Apigee Edge Antipatterns”:

https://docs.apigee.com/api-platform/antipatterns/intro

This is a culmination of perspectives gained from troubleshooting multiple issues and use cases on the Apigee Edge platform.

By definition, Antipatterns appear innocuous because they disguise themselves as valid usage of the platform. It is impossible for a product to have guard rails built in for every scenario because of the multitude of use case permutations involved and also the adverse effect on performance (of guard rails). Antipatterns creep in because of this practical limitation.

Simply put, Antipatterns are things that the software allows it’s user to do but should not be done as they have adverse effect on functionality and performance.

It is our endeavor to expose common Antipatterns that we have come across in a bid to provide a reference to Edge Developers of possible pitfalls and how to avoid the same.

As we say in the doc - If it helps bring Antipatterns to the forethought of API proxy developers, architects and testers, it would have served it’s purpose.

[1/3/19 edit: Replace PDF with link to docs.apigee.com antipatterns content]

Comments
sidd-harth
Participant V

This should be a sticky post. It covers most commonly asked questions in community 😄

I really appreciate the effort put into this ebook. Thank you @AMAR DEVEGOWDA & others.

akashtp
Staff

Thanks @AMAR DEVEGOWDA this is really helpful.

jonesfloyd
Staff

Great job on that, @AMAR DEVEGOWDA! I've linked to this from a few places in the docs. Thanks for posting this.

bhatikuldeep
Participant V

thanks for sharing this!

karthikprabhu77
Participant III

Thanks @AMAR DEVEGOWDA. This helps a lot.

rmishra
Participant V

Thanks for sharing this

Not applicable

Thanks for posting this !!!

nickdanger
Staff

The antipatterns book has become part of the official Edge documentation. We replaced the PDF with a link to the documentation. Thanks again to Amar for spearheading this great content effort!

The link is above, but here it is again:

https://docs.apigee.com/api-platform/antipatterns/intro

mustaphamansour

Thanks, @AMAR DEVEGOWDA for the sharing. This is really helpful.

I noticed that for the expiration time of OAuth tokens, the best practice is to have 60min refresh token for a 30min access token while for the Apigee management API we get a 24h refresh token for a 30min access token.

I wonder why Apigee doesn't respect this best practice?

Not applicable

Thanks for sharing!

Version history
Last update:
‎07-24-2017 05:09 AM
Updated by: