API Backlog Jumpstart Reference

The first few sprints are critical to the success of a program. Here is a suggested backlog when getting started.

Project Bootstrapping

These are the tasks that might be included in a Sprint 0 and can be seen as prerequisites for development to begin.

Task User Story Notes
API Platform Infrastructure Provisioning As an API Operator, I want infrastructure, so that I can deploy Apigee
API Platform Installation As an API Operator, I want to deploy the API Platform, so that the organization can expose APIs Not required for SaaS

Hybrid

OPDK
Source Control Setup As an API Developer, I want to store my code in source control so that I can collaborate safely with others and track changes Community
Artifact Store Setup As an API Operator, I want releases to be stored in an artifact store so that release management is simplified Optionally push .zip to artifact store
Continuous Integration Setup As an API Developer, I want to automate deployment and testing of APIs so that all changes are testing throughout the development lifecycle DevRel Reference
Monitoring Tooling Setup As an API Operator, I want to monitor API deployments so that production SLAs are met Community
Project Management Tooling Setup As an API Team member, I want to use tooling so that I can communicate with others and understand the project status Chat tool, Sprint board, email alias

Platform Configuration

Once our tools are set up, we can configure them and deploy to them.

Task Description Notes
Configure Northbound As an API consumer, I want to securely access the API Platform so that I can have confidence in sensitive data transmission Configuring Virtual Hosts

Hybrid Virtual Hosts

Configure Southbound As an API developer, I want to connect the API Platform with backend systems so that I can proxy API calls securely Typically involves southbound Mutual TLS and IP Access Control
Deploy Common Shared Flows As an API Developer, I want to reuse common flows so that I consistently apply best practices to my API DevRel Reference
Configure Project Template As an API Developer, I want to reuse a common proxy template so that I consistently apply best practices to my API DevRel Reference

Initial Governance Rules

As an API Developer, I want to understand the platform standards so that I create consistent APIs across the platform

Community Reference
Configure SSO As an API Operator, I want API Platform users to log in with Single Sign On so that their credentials are centrally managed
Configure Role Based Access As an API Operator, I want to reduce the actions of some API Platform users so that they don't perform dangerous actions
Deploy Developer Portal Base As an API Developer, I want a developer portal to be deployed so that I can customize and extend it with API documentation Drupal Kckstart

Identity Tasks

Identity APIs should be treated separately to other APIs, as they can be considered a prerequisite to any secure API and will often be implemented as the first APIs on the platform.

Task Description Notes
Identity BDD Features and Scenarios As an API Developer, I want to write behaviour-driven tests so that all stakeholders understand our quality assurance results
Mock Identity Endpoints As an API Developer, I want to mock our third-party identity provider so that I reduce dependencies during implementation DevRel Reference
Implement Identity [client credential/password/auth code/implicit/hybrid] Grant Type As an API consumer, I want to obtain a token using a grant type suitable to my client type so that I can access protected APIs Docs
Implement Client Registration As an API consumer, I want to register so that I can obtain credentials to access Identity APIs
Add Token Validation to Project Template As an API provider, I want to validate a consumers access token to ensure they are entitled to access protected APIs
Implement Token Refresh As an API consumer, I want to refresh expired tokens so that end users don't have to re-authenticate
Implement Token Revocation As an API provider, I want to revoke compromised tokens so that protected APIs are not abused

Proxy Tasks

For each API that we developer, we can consider the following tasks.

Task Description Notes
BDD Features and Scenarios

As an API developer, I want to write behaviour driven tests so that all stakeholders understand our quality assurance results

Apickli
Mock Backend As an API Developer, I want to mock backends so that I reduce dependencies during implementation
Traffic Management As an API Operator, I want to ensure that our backends receive acceptable rates of traffic so that the system remains stable
Mediation As an API Developer, I want to expose a simple, RESTful API so that consumers enjoy using my API
Orchestration As an API Developer, I want to reduce multiple APIs requests into a single request so that consumers have a simpler experience when using my API
Security As an API Developer, I want to extend the base Security policies so that additional protections can be applied for an API
Analytics As an API Product Owner, I want to understand the usage of the API Platform so that I can understand the needs of my customer Statistics Collector
Developer Portal As an API Consumer, I want to read documentation and onboard to an API so that I can quickly develop my own application Upload specification to portal
Monitoring As an API Operator, I want to understand the deployment and latency status of production APIs so that I can maintain SLAs
Monetization As an API Product Owner, I want to charge for Premium APIs so that I can open a new revenue channel for my organization
Performance test As an API developer, I want to understand the performance profile of my APIs so that I can have confidence in their stability under load in production
Comments
davissean
Staff

Could we add some epics/groupings to this?

Version history
Last update:
‎10-12-2020 11:34 AM
Updated by: