Demystifying the API Engineer Certification Exam

The Apigee Certified API Engineer page describes Apigee's API Engineer Certification. It gives an overview of the test and the topics you should know to pass the test. However, that page doesn't go into too much detail about the test process itself.

This article gives details about my experience with the testing process, but not about the specific topics on the test. I took the online-proctored version of the test, not at a testing center, so my description below focuses on that.

The certification exam has 110 questions, mostly multiple-choice single-answer, with some multiple-choice, multiple-answer questions. The exam must be completed in 120 minutes, and you must get 70% correct to pass.

The online exam software allows you to mark questions for revisiting later during the exam. It also allows notes to be taken in a text box below each question, which will be available if you return to the question. I recommend providing an answer for each question during the first pass even if you are guessing and marking the question as not completed, so that there is a chance to receive points if you have no time to return to the question. There is no penalty for guessing. I also frequently used the text box to keep notes of decisions I had already made so that it would take less time when I revisited the question.

No notes, phones, watches, web access, pen/paper or aids of any kind are allowed. I forgot to remove my watch, and the proctor stopped the test and asked me to remove it. If you are not taking the test at a testing center, you will be monitored with your computer's camera and microphone. However you take the test, you will not be allowed to get up, pause the test, or talk to anyone during the test, and failure to follow these rules may result in the test being invalidated. This includes leaving for any reason, including using the restroom -- there are no exceptions to this rule, so plan ahead! I recommend you find a quiet place to take the test. Make sure you are ready and have the time to spend two-plus hours at your computer without interruption.

Note: If you do not pass the test on the first attempt, you will need to wait 7 days before attempting the test again. If you do not pass on the second attempt, you will need to wait a year before retrying.

Successful completion of the test will grant you an Apigee Certified Professional API Engineer Certification that is valid for two years from the date of certification. You will receive a certification badge like this one that you can share on LinkedIn or wherever you'd like:

6828-credlybadge.png

Hope this article helps demystify the exam!

Comments

Thanks for demystifying us @Mike Dunker. This is very useful.

migueleiva

Hello Mike, you think you can add a post about your experience with the exam at the level of knowledge and techniques, I searched the internet and the forum and few people write their experience, this could help many.

mdunker
Staff

Hi @migueleiva,

Unfortunately I am not allowed to comment on the actual questions and topics of the exam. I'd refer you to the platform learning guide post that I put together with lots of links that will be useful to gauge your understanding of API engineering concepts.

Thanks,

Mike

migueleiva

Thanks Mike, I thought there was some kind of restriction since there is not this type of information on the web, as if there are experiences about people passing other types of exams

rajaganeshvijay

Thanks Mike for sharing this useful stuff.

Not applicable

Thank you for posting this article. From reading I get the impression there is no lab exercise as a part of this test. Can you please confirm this is true?

mdunker
Staff
@mohankumar kannangnatt

Yes, the test is currently only multiple choice.

Not applicable

I took the Apigee-API-Engineer. Here’s my learning experience Google Apigee--API exam, i suggest you to check out the resources on Google’s certification page. You will have a very strong grip over the concepts necessary for Apigee-API-Engineer exam. Apigee-API-Engineer Try some authentic Apigee-API-Engineer dumps PDF or VCE engine that will give you a chance to test your knowledge by finding out the weak points which need more focus in the next read and follow this four passing strategies:

1. Read and practice valid Apigee-API-Engineer Exam questions before attempting real exam.

2. Identify your knowledge gaps

3. Make a custom learning plan

4. Track Progress with Color Coding.

syedshahed

It might be little late to reply to this message.But, I will be taking the test next month. The link you have provided for sample test is not working.

mdunker
Staff

Hi @Syed Shahed

Thanks, the exam link you mention is no longer available. Will remove it from the comment.

syedshahed

@Mike Dunker @GoogleI booked the exam date on 19 march 2020. There is excellent material available for preparing and practicing for the exam. But only thing which is missing is full fledge mock exam. Just to get the feel of the exam. Can you point me to such an exam if there is any available. Thanks for help and support.

Not applicable

Congratulations Lorraine! We're so glad to hear about your positive score and wish you the best in your career! https://www.realdumpspdf.com/product/google-apigee-api-engineer-pdf/

Not applicable

I cleared the exam before 4 months, still its not reflecting in community. Can you help on this? Thanks...

ghassanbarghout
Participant III

Can someone please help? In the registration page for Online Proctored, it says:

C) Complete Steps 1-3 on the right.

But I can't see those steps on the right? What is meant by it? I don't want to screw up anything and lose the opportunity to take the exam on the registered time.

screen-shot-2020-11-24-at-24324-pm.png

Not applicable

Well, I think that it is not very good when companies involved in preparing for the certification exam do not have the necessary data on the subtleties of passing the exam. When I was preparing for the certification exam, I bought (PMP course) from Spoto, where the whole process of passing the exam was described in great detail. This course helped me identify my weaknesses and focus on them. Be careful which company you contact, so that it does not happen that their questions do not correspond to the real ones.

Version history
Last update:
‎05-04-2018 01:53 PM
Updated by: