Private Cloud (OPDK) Configuration to stream large payloads

Problem: I have streaming enabled for an api proxy that has a huge response payload size. After 2 minutes I get a 504 Gateway timeout or a 503 "messaging.adaptors.http.flow.ServiceUnavailable". It looks like Apigee Edge only did a partial transfer, how can I configure my OPDK to allow for longer responses when streaming is enabled?

In OPDK 4.14.04.03 and newer releases we had introduced a configuration which helps our Apigee Router to stream larger payloads. The configuration parameter, "HTTPServer.streaming.buffer.limit" has been introduced in the router.properties. It's not in the router.properties by default, if you have streaming enabled, you will have to manually add it.

By default the value is set to '0' which means the channel would never be paused. Specific applications which have a need of streaming data would need to set this value to appropriate number in order to enable this. The value here is number of buffers, the buffer size can vary from application to application hence this value may need to be tuned based on the requirements and maximum heap size being use.

Some other tuning parameters that can be useful for streaming are:

MP http.properties:

HTTPTransport.io.timeout.millis=120000

and Router router.properties:

ServerContainer.io.timeout.millis=120000

Increasing these values can help large streaming payloads.

Definition of the HTTPTransport.io.timeout.millis parameter in the MP http.properties:

If there is no data to read for the specified number of milliseconds, or if the socket is not ready to write data for specified number of milliseconds, then the transaction is treated as a timeout.

Definition of the ServerContainer.io.timeout.millis parameter in the Router router.properties:

IO timeout for the incoming messages in milli seconds. Defaults to 120 seconds

Comments
Not applicable

Hi Janice,

Thanks for this message.

I'm getting 504 Gateway Timeout.

I've not been able to affect a change in behavior to handle an API with a large payload (20M) and a backend nodejs based API that takes 1:25 to respond. My API call consistently times out after 1:20 total time and 57 time spent as recorded by curl.

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100    79  100    79    0     0      1      0  0:01:19  0:00:57  0:00:22    19

I've adjusted these properties on both the RO and MP with no change, still times out.

http.properties:

HTTPTransport.io.timeout.millis=240000

HTTPResponse.body.buffer.limit=30m

nodejs.properties:

script.tick.timeout.seconds=240

http.request.timeout.seconds=240

router.properties:

ServerContainer.io.timeout.millis=240000

# Note this is a work around until the fix in v4.15.04.03 which I haven't installed yet.

HTTPServer.streaming.buffer.limit=0

What am I missing?

On Premise v4.15.04.00

jghunt
Staff

Hi Kurt,

You may also need to adjust your Client.pool.connection.timeout in the router.properties. This is the timeout setting for the connections between the router and message processor. In OPDK 15.04, it is set to 50ms by default.

We recommend setting these timeout settings so that:

ServerContainer.iotimeout.millis > Client.pool.connection.timeout > HTTPTransport.io.timeout.millis

Thanks,

Janice

Not applicable

Hi Janice,

It appears to behave differently in 4.15.04.00 than in the recent patch 4.15.04.03. I know there where changes in this area. I can get the timeout to be 240 seconds in "patch". However, I've not been able to apply that to our "TEST" landscape yet as it requires me to upgrade to JDK 1.7.

I may not be able to get to that before my last day at Merck this Friday.

Thanks,

Kurt

Not applicable

@Janice Hunt

has the client.pool.connection.timeout been renamed "Client.pool.iotimeout" ?

Not applicable
@Janice Hunt

Same question here. For 4.15.07.01, is it Client.pool.connection.timeout, or Client.pool.iotimeout? I assume the unit is millisecond, correct?

How does one determine appropriate value for HTTPServer.streaming.buffer.limit?

Not applicable

i got all of this worked out 2 weeks ago.... i need to review it this week before moving to production with it. I will try to remember to post here w/ what we learned.

jghunt
Staff

@Benjamin Goldman and @Jason Harrington

For 4.15.07.xx the setting should be the router.properties Client.pool.iotimeout. This is the amount of time the router waits for reading a response back from the message processor on an active connection and is set in milliseconds.

The value for HTTPServer.streaming.buffer.limit recommended by our engineering team is to set it to 0. Zero is the current default in 4.15.04.00 or newer Private Cloud releases and we do not recommend any changes from this value.

Not applicable

Thank you for the clarification, @Janice Hunt!

Not applicable

Doh! Now, I'm a little more confused. Checking one of my new routers:

$ /data/apigee4/bin/get-version.sh | head -3

OPDK version 4.15.07.01 is installed

$ egrep -B 7 'HTTPServer.streaming.buffer.limit' /data/apigee4/conf/apigee/router/router.properties

##

# Maximum number of buffers which can be queued up in the router async buffers while streaming to slow client/server,

# beyond this reading from the channel will be paused until queued up buffers are sent

# A value of zero indicates no limit. A zero limit may cause too much of memory pile up if peer entity is not reading at

# the same pace of data arrival

# defaults = 10

##

HTTPServer.streaming.buffer.limit=10

Not applicable

@jhunt@apigee.com

Hello Janice,

We are in 4.15.01 version. Initially i got many HTTP 504 errors then i made below settings

ServerContainer.iotimeout.millis (3720000)> Client.pool.iotimeout (3660000) > HTTPTransport.io.timeout.millis(3600000)

since the backend IO time out is 60 minutes. Error resolved. However i'm able to see them again in our production environment.

Im able to see one more timeout parameter in router,properties it is

Client.pool.connection.timeout=50

As you see the value is 50 milliseconds by default. Do you want to us to tune this according to above settings? If yes, what should be the value?

Could you please help here.

Regards,

Ch.Venkat

Version history
Last update:
‎02-20-2015 06:40 PM
Updated by: