Force Install App settings for IOS application on Managed ios device

Hello Folks,

I am trying to install the ios app silently on managed ios devices, For Android there are app settings that allow me to install silently but for the ios, there is no such setting on the google workspace portal. Can anybody help me in achieving the desired results?

Note:
I have tried on both managed and supervised ios devices.

0 28 4,227
28 REPLIES 28

Hi, 

We currently don't support silent install but we are working on VPP feature that will be released later this year. With VPP, admins can silently install apps on Company Owned devices that are defined in the Apple ABM.

Does it mean the feature still would be dependent on the Apple VPP in order to silently install? Is there any possibility of silently installing apps without using VPP? e.g. Workspace one, and Intune MDM supports these things without VPP.

From what I know, VPP is required for managed Apple user accounts. If you sync the Google Workspace accounts with Apple Business Manager and your users signs-in with Apple IDs from your company's domain, then these account have disabled AppStore and the VPP is the only option to install apps, no matter which MDM you are using.

Hi Zeeshan,

Hope so you're doing well, when it comes to installing iOS apps silently on managed iOS devices, there is no direct setting available on the Google Workspace portal like there is for Android. However, there are alternative methods you can explore to achieve the desired results.

One option is to use Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions that offer app deployment capabilities. These MDM solutions allow you to remotely manage and install apps on iOS devices without user intervention. By leveraging MDM, you can push the desired iOS app to the managed or supervised devices silently, bypassing the need for user interaction during the installation process.

Another approach is to use Apple's Volume Purchase Program (VPP) in combination with Mobile Device Management. VPP allows you to purchase apps in bulk and distribute them to managed iOS devices. By integrating VPP with an MDM solution, you can automate the deployment of iOS apps silently.

It's important to note that the specific steps and procedures may vary depending on the MDM solution you are using. It's recommended to consult the documentation or support resources provided by your MDM provider to ensure you follow the correct procedures for silent app installation on managed iOS devices.

Overall, while there is no direct setting for silent installation of iOS apps on managed iOS devices through the Google Workspace portal, leveraging MDM solutions or Apple's VPP can help you achieve the desired results.

Hope so this will work for you!

Regards,

Bryce June

Google Workspace MDM (Google Endpoint Management) is going to enable Apple VPP support for iOS which will give silent install option to devices that are added to Apple Business Manager. We are currently working on this feature. 

Looking forward to this as it a bit painful at the moment getting users to enter Apple ID during enrol and if they don't they get an almost blank iPhone or iPad.

@emreknlk Do you happen to have a link to anything that is kept up-to-date with the progress or ETA of this development? I would love to be able to subscribe and be updated when the feature is released.

We are targeting September/October 2023 for the release. We will announce through a blog post. Stay tuned! 

@emreknlk any update? Will we see this before the end of October?

Still waiting...

Hi! any update on thins super-needed funcionality? Thanks! Stefano

I am using google workspace as an MDM solution for the deployment. Appreciate your suggestion to use any other MDM provider, but my requirement is to achieve this result using google workspace. Thanks

Hello,

I used to use Airwatch, and I only deploy IOS devices. We noticed that Google MDM was missing a lot of functions. In particular, the VPP part. But also the DEP functions, some of which were present but had numerous problems....

We switched back to Workspace one.

We are also in the same situation!

Do you want to tell me that is not compatible with Apple devices managed through Google???

Do you know if the new offering will include User Enrollment based VPP deployment with support for AppConfig settings?

The User Enrollment & VPP rollout will not include support for AppConfig. The support for AppConfig is coming in a subsequent launch targeted for Q1 2024.

@selenalai @emreknlk 

Are there plans to improve the user experience on iOS Company owned devices? Currently users have to setup a personal apple ID. But if they do so during initial setup, they still have to accept itunes tos or something and the automatic installation of the device policy app fails.

@selenalai 

Google Workspace MDM really lags behind other products. Do you have a full roadmap we can see of what is in development and when its target release date is

Workspace publishes roadmap under NDA. Please refer to the Workspace roadmap to see what's coming from Google Endpoint Management. 

So I see that this feature was released but it only seems applicable to BYOD devices. Is it supposed to also support DEP devices?

Yes. We have a follow up launch that will support DEP devices.

That is fantastic news. Hopefully app configurations will quickly follow that up!

@selenalai Any progress on this?

Hi Selenalay, this is a good news, but..when will it be enrolled? Thank you, Stefano

@selenalai  emreknlk I see VPP is now in Beta in Workspacce.
If I add a token what impact (if any) is there on existing iOS devies enrolled and in use with Apps already installed via Google Device Policy app?

Great work moving the iOS MDM offering along.  I am curious if adding custom profiles will be on your roadmap as well?  Specifically, we are interested in setting the following:
App-LayerVPN
Extensible Single Sign-On
Web Clips
- Restrictions - Managed pasteboard

Let's face it Workspace as a MDM for iOS is miles behind.
A personal Apple ID is still required for device setup so the Google Device Policy App gets installed, however many Companies are moving to Managed Apple IDs.

A Managed Apple ID can't install apps by design therefore for an company owned iOS Device the user has to set it up using their Personal Apple ID, enroll the device then log out of the Apple ID and log in with the Managed Apple ID, what a complete farce.

Do you actually understand the practicalities here Google Devs?