Is WSL2 supported for Windows VM?

Is WSL2 supported for Windows VM?

Solved Solved
0 7 1,959
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My understanding is that Compute Engines allow nested virtualization as described here.  However, my reading seems to say that it is all KVM based.   This means that any further virtualization (eg. running WSL on Windows) requires that the virtualization also be KVM based.    My reading of WSL on Windows seems to say that it requires the Microsoft hypervisor technology (Hyper-V).  I have found no trace of anything Hyper-V based able to run on Google Compute Engines.  You then ask ... what about Google's VMWare as a service (Google Cloud VMWare Engine)?   In that story I am presuming you are thinking of running WSL on Windows on VMWare.  I'm afraid I have no information on that one.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

A Windows VM in Google Cloud runs under the Google Cloud Compute Engine technology.  This technology uses KVM as the Hypervisor engine.  Reading here, it seems that WSL 2 requires Microsoft Hyper-V KVM engine to operate.  This implies to me that we can't run WSL 2 on a Google Cloud Windows OS Compute Engine.

Try and see if you can run it under Intel Haswell ... as you can guess, that's what i'm trying to do right now.

Thanks Kolban .Is this statement is applicable for GCP Nested virtualisation & VMware service ?

My understanding is that Compute Engines allow nested virtualization as described here.  However, my reading seems to say that it is all KVM based.   This means that any further virtualization (eg. running WSL on Windows) requires that the virtualization also be KVM based.    My reading of WSL on Windows seems to say that it requires the Microsoft hypervisor technology (Hyper-V).  I have found no trace of anything Hyper-V based able to run on Google Compute Engines.  You then ask ... what about Google's VMWare as a service (Google Cloud VMWare Engine)?   In that story I am presuming you are thinking of running WSL on Windows on VMWare.  I'm afraid I have no information on that one.

I got the same problem when try to install Ubuntu on GCP VM Windows.

Thanks Kolban

Seems you have to set WSL to version 1 under GCE