Can migrate windows server 2003 and ubuntu 12

Hi

Currently i'm in the midst of migrating on prem to gcp, i have migrated server 2012 and above. but for server 2003 failed. Is there any workaround i can do this. my on prem is on vmware. I have tried to upload the vmdk in bucket and create image from it but also failed.

0 3 333
3 REPLIES 3

Hello lompat31,

Windows Server 2003 is still supported but through offline migration only.

Offline migration, disk volumes are copied directly to Google Cloud and data streaming is not supported. For your reference, see Windows 2003 SP2 to Google Cloud (On-premise to cloud: Offline migration process).

Thanks!

Hi Willbin

Thank you for the guide, do i need to setup vpn for this configuration? can it be direct from vmware to gcp through internet.

Hi lompat31,

No, you don't  need to set up a VPN for this procedure. As stated on the document I sent you:

During the offline migration process, all storage migrates to the cloud first, and then the VM starts.

Another use case for offline migration is storage-only migration for VMs that aren't supported by the cloud provider. These are typically VMs with older operating systems, for example Red Hat 4. With storage-only migration, you can migrate volumes and then reattach them to a VM with a supported OS.

Thanks!