Features (zoom, global text size adjustment, etc.) for vision impaired users

Currently, images in image columns can be examined more closely by tapping twice and then zooming in on a mobile device.  Otherwise, however, unless I'm missing something AppSheet doesn't let users zoom in on specific text or change a global setting for text size.  My vision is more-or-less OK but even I find myself wanting to zoom in at times so I can imagine that persons with impaired vision would feel the need to zoom in on or increase the size of text more strongly that I do.  I searched for "zoom" and "vision" but wasn't able to find a discussion of this issue.  If I missed one, please let me know in a comment. 

One more note:  The need to zoom in on text is influenced not only by the ability of the user to see clearly but also by the language one uses.  I work with the Japanese language. Some fairly simple characters such as 山, 口, 一, 大 etc. can be discerned easily even if the text is small where as other more complicated characters (攘, 薔, 鬱, etc.) are complicated enough that you might want to zoom in, particularly if you are trying to learn how to write them.

If AppSheet is to become increasingly popular throughout the world, I think challenges faced by people with vision impairment and by people using languages other than English should be considered.

P.S. Web browsers allow zooming.  I wonder if there is a fundamental difference between AppSheet and web browsers that makes zooming difficult.

Status Open
2 2 60
2 Comments
lochtefeldm
Bronze 4
Bronze 4

I was just coming here to submit the request for increase accessibility for usersettings. When viewing in the browser being able to zoom in our out using the browser works fantastic but its not available in the appsheet native app - and isn't easy for users that aren't tech savvy. Some of the UI elements you can't adjust like the filter icon or the size of table headers or line view display names. 

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Thanks @lochtefeldm !  I'm glad I'm not the only one to be interested in this.  After I posted, I looked into what iOS offers via it's accessibility menu.  It's possible to zoom with that (to some extent, at least) but I found it to be much more difficult to manipulate those features than it is to use the pinch-to-zoom gesture available on a typical smartphone browser.  

Personally, my vision is pretty good but, nonetheless, I'll be interested to hear if AppSheet has considered improving accessibility (independently of options available through the OS).  And, if not, I'll be interested to learn what the factors are (difficulty of implementation, etc.).

I was prompted to think about this because I noticed that AppSheet lets us pinch-to-zoom after we double tap on an image in an image column, but only in that context as far as I know.  It would be nice to have that capability in other contexts.