Cloud Sql instance performance is really bad

I am running a Postgres instance in Google Cloud SQL. The instance is in US-WEST-1
I noticed starting today that really simple queries are taking way too long to run. I have checked the CPU and other metrics on the instance and it's idle ....this is my development DB.

But when I run a simple query like "Select * from mytable" , it's taking over 24 seconds to return just 700 rows, which makes no sense.

I'm wondering if there is a networking issue in the datacenter or something that could explain why it's all of a sudden performing like crap.?

Is anyone else seeing these types of issues with their SQL instance?

1 2 232
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @elixirmike,

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

Apologies for what you are currently experiencing.

Please be advised that the following may affect performance of your Cloud SQL instance:

Please take note of the following to improve your Cloud SQL performance:

• Keep a reasonable number of database tables
  • Enable query logs
  • Make sure that your instance is not constrained on memory or CPU.

Please check the following documentation that you may also find helpful in improving the performance of your Cloud SQL instance:

You may also reach out to Google Cloud support or file a bug if the aforementioned steps didn't worked out.

Hope this helps.

It's possible that there could be network issues affecting the performance of your Cloud SQL instance. However, before jumping to conclusions, it's important to investigate other potential factors that could be causing the slowdown.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check Cloud SQL Logs: Review the logs for your Cloud SQL instance to see if there are any error messages or warnings that could indicate a problem with the database itself.

2. Monitor Query Performance: Use tools like Google Cloud Monitoring or Cloud SQL Insights to monitor the performance of your queries and identify any patterns or anomalies.

3. Review Query Execution Plans: Examine the execution plans for your queries to ensure they are optimized and not causing unnecessary overhead.

4. Check for Indexes: Ensure that your tables have appropriate indexes in place to speed up query execution, especially for commonly queried columns.

5. Review Instance Configuration: Check the configuration of your Cloud SQL instance to ensure it meets the requirements for your workload, including sufficient CPU, memory, and storage resources.

6. Network Connectivity: Verify that there are no issues with network connectivity between your client and the Cloud SQL instance. You can use tools like traceroute or ping to test network latency and packet loss..