Error appearing in GCP logs for method google.cloud.apigee.v1.EnvironmentService.GetDeployedConfig

Hi all,

We are getting errors appearing within our GCP audit logs for method google.cloud.apigee.v1.EnvironmentService.GetDeployedConfig which seems to be called automatically every minute - the error returned is :  

status{
code9
message"config not modified"
}

The functionality of our apigee proxies and environments all looks fine and is working correctly.  Any ideas what triggers this method as I assume it is a configuration issue that we need to look at?

Solved Solved
2 2 415
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

I'm sorry about the delay in responding. 

Also, I understand your concern about seeing those Error messages in your logs. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that these messages are "benign" - they do not indicate an error. There is nothing you need to do. 

The log entry comes about this way:  Periodically the Apigee runtime calls the configuration layer in the control plane, to check to see what has changed since the last request. When there is no change, the control plane responds with a 304 Not Modified.  Through some unfortunate logic, that results in a "config not modified" entry in your logs.  This is all a description of some internal stuff in Apigee, and it's not a documented behavior. It may change at any time.  But currently, this is what's happening.

The logs seem noisy to you, I'm sure, and obviously it is something you spent time investigating. And I'm sorry for that.  But the messages are benign and routine. 

The bad news - not very bad - is there is no way currently to "turn off" that message.  

The engineering team is investigating a good way to silence those entries, or otherwise mitigate the concerns.  Because it's not actually impacting behavior or disrupting service, they're not treating it as a P2, and I can't estimate a schedule over which they'll resolve this. 

Thanks for posting the question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi,

I'm sorry about the delay in responding. 

Also, I understand your concern about seeing those Error messages in your logs. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that these messages are "benign" - they do not indicate an error. There is nothing you need to do. 

The log entry comes about this way:  Periodically the Apigee runtime calls the configuration layer in the control plane, to check to see what has changed since the last request. When there is no change, the control plane responds with a 304 Not Modified.  Through some unfortunate logic, that results in a "config not modified" entry in your logs.  This is all a description of some internal stuff in Apigee, and it's not a documented behavior. It may change at any time.  But currently, this is what's happening.

The logs seem noisy to you, I'm sure, and obviously it is something you spent time investigating. And I'm sorry for that.  But the messages are benign and routine. 

The bad news - not very bad - is there is no way currently to "turn off" that message.  

The engineering team is investigating a good way to silence those entries, or otherwise mitigate the concerns.  Because it's not actually impacting behavior or disrupting service, they're not treating it as a P2, and I can't estimate a schedule over which they'll resolve this. 

Thanks for posting the question.

Thanks for the reply @dchiesa1 - that is good to know.