I cannot use NVIDIA T4 in VM Windows Server 2022 with RDP

Hello,

I have configured a Compute Engine instance to run a VM with Windows Server 2022 in order to run a software developed with Unreal Engine. This machine has a NVIDA T4 configured, which is compatible with the requirements of the program. I have connected to the machine with RDP.
When I run it, I get this error:

Captura de pantalla 2024-04-30 a las 11.18.39.png

So I assumed that the system was not using the T4 and I have run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool and indeed, it is not being used:

Captura de pantalla 2024-04-30 a las 10.53.36.png

How could I change the system configuration to be able to use the NVIDIA T4 to run this program? Or if there is any way to run it in PowerShell indicating the T4 as parameter?

Thank you in advance.

2 2 111
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @omendo 

Welcome to Google Cloud Community!

After a virtual machine (VM) instance with one or more GPUs has been created, the system requires NVIDIA device drivers to be installed, so that the applications can access the GPU device. So unless the NVIDIA device driver is installed, the display adapter will show as the default "Microsoft Remote Display Adapter", as indicated in your screenshot. 

You can follow the instructions in this Google Cloud document on how to install the GPU driver for your NVIDIA T4.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need further assistance, you can always file a case with our support team so that they can check your project and verify your VM settings.

Hi @LeAnt

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, after following the Google Cloud documentation, I am in the same situation as before: the drivers have been installed correctly, but the T4 does not appear to me as available GPU neither in the NVIDIA Control Panel or anything. However, in the PowerShell if I can see that the T4 is there, I attach images:

Captura de pantalla 2024-05-02 a las 9.59.43.pngCaptura de pantalla 2024-05-02 a las 9.57.15.png